Memory is one of the most fascinating topics in Psychology and neuroscience. There are many cognitive experiments that studied the brain – its function and capacity – in order to protect it from deterioration or memory loss.
Here are 11 interesting things to know about the human memory.
- Memory is the key ingredient to learning – the mental library of information.
- In Psychology, memory is the process of obtaining information through the 3 memory stages.
- The memory system consists of 3 components according to the modal model of Atkinson-Shiffrin.
- The 3 types of memory are sensory, short-term and long-term, which are further grouped into subcategories.
- Sensory memory is the “shortest” term memory.
- Short-term memory is what the mind is currently thinking.
- Working memory (WM) is what the mind is currently “manipulating”.
- WM is further categorized into 3 to 8 components as proposed by the Baddeley-Hitch 3-part model of working memory.
- Long-term memory (LTM) is the limitless holding capacity of the brain.
- LTM is processed through memory consolidation.
- The part of the brain responsible for LTM is the hippocampus.